Newbie looking for help

klyde(8)October 21, 2012

Hi all,

Forgive me for not just sitting down and researching on my own, but the family has just moved into a new house. I'm exhausted and my plants need light soon. No time for research.

I need some small grow lights (about 3 feet long) for growing hoyas and orchids, possibly the odd begonia. I have a plastic shelving unit I was hoping to put the plants and some kind of grow lights on. Can someone steer me in the right direction for lights? The local shops have Lightblaster T5's HO. Are they what I am looking for? Is so, how far above the plants should they be? How many tubes per tray?

I really am embarassingly new to this, but would appreciate someone walking me through setting up a small system. The plants are okay at the moment, but have been sitting on a dark floor for a week now...

Kind regards

Kelly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
halfway(5a)

The T5's are probably going to be the most efficient. Get some advice from the shop concerning the ratio of blue to red light bulbs(6500k/2300k).

CFL's would work as well, especially in the small space you have available. You may need a few fixtures with good, reflective hoods.

With flouros, you need to keep them as close to the plant as possible without burning for the rays to penetrate.

6500k for veg, 2300k for flowering/fruiting.

Best of success!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Indoor Gardening Adventure

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 1:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
overdrive

t5 is a good lamp, but no need to have a variety of lamps -
go to ushio.com website, and they will show the spectral output of the tri phosphor lamps - you will notice that all of the lamps have a blue, a yellow/green and a red spike, and you achieve nothing at all by mixing up your lamps - I just use 5000K for everything, and it works extremely well. Generally, even though there is PAR, and everything, the total amount of lumens is what tells the story, and the lamps all have the same lumens, except the blue photons have higher energy and are required for chlorophyll synthesis, which is why I use the slightly blue 5000K - even though it looks bluish to the eye, is actually still has plenty of red in it. - you can also use just cheap shop light t8, depending on how much intensity you need, but orchids might benefit from the t5. paul m.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
Seed Starting Lights at night?
In my area (Nova Scotia) I have time of day metering...
youngdb
My indoor garden setup - any improvements?
This is my proposed setup for my indoor garden. I'm...
gardev
New to Forum - some questions, comments about heating mats
I have been starting flower seeds indoors for years...
snapdrag
More beautiful plumeria blossoms under grow lights
More proof that grow lights work! I planted this plumeria...
arctictropical
Cost-Efficient Lighting
Does anyone know what the most cost-efficient lighting...
Tigger033
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™