August Moon with blue margin?

galinasJune 7, 2014

I was looking at hostas marked as " August Moon" in Lowes. They all were about the same, plain green-yellow color. But one of them had a very tiny blue margin. Do you think it is mislabeling, or mutation, or disease? (Don't really want it to be , as I bought it!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paul_in_mn(4b)

Unfortunately this is routine for Lowes to have mislabeled hosta. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Box Store Hosta Switcheroo

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 9:16PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

August Moon is a prolific sport producer. It is also fertile and has many crosses to its credit.

I was looking at things descended from AMoon and this is difficult to pin down as far as ID goes. Squash Casserole is a sport of AM. Then a yg (yellow with green margin) sport of SC is Yesterday's Memories. It could be AM is sporting to something similar to YM itself. But then, hosta from Lowes and such frequently are misidentified to begin with. The supplier sends them with the wrong tags.

Someone else chime in to give a better answer.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 9:18PM
don_in_colorado

We don't know. : )

Don B.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 9:24PM
galinas

OK, I guess I will be unique owner of August Moon with blue margin) Thanks!

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 9:29PM
bkay2000(8a TX)

The photo is not clear. Do all the leaves have a blue margin or just a few?

bk

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 11:03PM
galinas

Sorry for bad picture - was taken at night. Here a some more. I would say every leaf has a margin - some of them very sharp and thin, some a little wider and fuzzy. What I really want to know, that this is not a disease, other then that - it is a new pattern for my bed, name doesn't matter)

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 6:18AM
galinas

close up with sharp margin:

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 6:19AM
galinas

Close up with fuzzy margin. After upload margin become really blue... But in fact it is grayish blue.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 6:23AM
bernd ny zone5

Perhaps this hosta is still unstable, and you will see the final look next year. This plant also does not look like 'August Moon' right now.
I.e., I found a green hosta with 2 or 3 wide streaks labeled 'Sum and Substance' in between yellow S&S in a farm supply store. 2 years later it looks like 'Sum it up'. Bernd

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 9:46AM
galinas

Yes, this is what I thought - it should be more round leaves, right? Anyway, it is a new pastern for my tiny bed of 18 hostas. I mostly pick them to be visibly different from others.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 10:03AM
bernd ny zone5

Yes, my 'August Moon' have rounder and puckered yellow leaves.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 6:31PM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

I thought August Moon with a blue margin was called September Sun? Phil

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 6:59PM
jadie88(7 MD)

I'm far from an expert, but I say its a switch-a-roo rather than a sport. Even my young AM had a brader leaf shape and no waviness. And wouldn't it be unusual for the whole plant to sport with consistent variegation? It does have the look of 'Yesterday's Memories' to my untrained eye...

My AM had one eye that was a ringer for September Sun, but it didn't come back this year. Ah, well!

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 7:21PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

No, Phil, September Sun has a yellow middle and a wide green margin. I just got it this spring. Bob Solberg used it as pod parent (plantaginea as pollen) to creat Honey Pie. I really like that big ole Honey Pie and had to have September Sun. My favorite color combo is yellow in the center and any kind of a green margin.

I like the plant you have, Galinas. It reminds me a lot of my Smooth Sailing with its "eye liner" thin margin.

Here is Sept Sun with small Dixie Chickadee beside it.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
Wave Runner
Does anyone have Wave Runner? There aren't too many...
bkay2000
NH hostas here
Doesn't look like much but in a month it will. Excited...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Hosta Fragrants 2014
I am having computer problems today so I am on my laptop....
New pictures
For anyone interested in going over to Hallsons gardens...
almosthooked
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™