Supplemental lighting for outdoor balcony

edh87(7a - Durham, NC)November 16, 2012

Hi friends,

My balcony sucks. It faces west and is in the woods. It gets some sun, but definitely not a lot. I've got my heart set on growing veggies there until I can move to a new apartment (likely July). Can I hang a 4 foot shop light from the roof of my balcony (the floor of the balcony above me) for supplemental light? Will the rain kill the fixture and/or electrocute me/my friends? Do they make outdoor/rain-proof shop light fixtures?

Thank you!

Liz

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I have no idea about the electrical side of it but a couple of questions come to mind.

1. Are you allowed to screw things into the upstairs neighbour's balcony?
2. Will the neighbours be bothered by your lights blazing away in a woodland area?
3. What do you want to grow and is this the right time of year to be planting it?

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 2:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edh87(7a - Durham, NC)

Thanks for the help! I don't know if I'm technically allowed to screw things to the ceiling... lots of other people have hanging planters, so I assume so? I'm not planning on growing anything right now, just making plans for the spring. And I hadn't thought about how neighbors might feel about a random light in the woods... It would just be during daylight hours, but probably still pretty annoying.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 11:29PM
More Discussions
Correcting Lighting Later?
Hello, I am germinating Palmer amaranth for an experiment...
Tigger033
My indoor garden setup - any improvements?
This is my proposed setup for my indoor garden. I'm...
gardev
Seeking advice about current indoor seed starting setup
Hello, I am new to gardening and would like to start...
dotagardener
Bell peppers
My flowers fall off before fruit developes. Any suggestions?...
AliMatt
heat mats and growing plants
Is there a reason must you move plants off of the heat...
dowlinggram
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™