Grow light confusion Please Help!!!

SoulfireNovember 10, 2013

Hello!

I bought a few dwarf citrus plants this year and the time has come to bring them in for the winter. As I do not have a bright window for them, I'm going to put them in a room, with a growlight. The growlight is 400W and has a mogul base, so I needed to buy a special fixture, which just came today. However, I looked at the plug this evening and I have never seen anything like it. A little googling just has me more confused, as it almost seems like this Hydrofarm company has its own special plug. Admittedly, I should have paid closer attention beforehand. The only adapters I've seen convert it to something called a BAASP plug, which I've also never seen before.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get this to connect to a normal plug? Can a normal outlet even handle this kind of thing? Sorry I'm so clueless, but I'm not familiar with these kinds of things at all. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
art33(6)

Hi Soulfire,

Well, I've never used that kind of light but I'm thinking that the plug in your picture must be made to plug into a ballast. Is your 400W bulb a high pressure sodium bulb? If so, I think it requires the use of a ballast. The HydroFarm BAASP plug adapter you mentioned adapts HydroFarm reflectors to other brand ballasts.

Hope this helps,

Art

This post was edited by art33 on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 10:30

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 1:41AM
Soulfire

Great info, thanx. I definitely need the ballast & I've checked into them. Now I have what is a really basic question--- I now know the Hydrofarm reflector plugs into the ballast. But does a ballast plug directly into a house outlet? Or is there yet another thing I didn't consider?

I'm specifically looking at a Phantom 600W ballast.

This post was edited by Soulfire on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 19:39

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 6:19PM
art33(6)

Soulfire,

As I mentioned earlier, I've never really used that type of light but I think most ballast can be used with 120 or 240 volts. The ballast should plug directly into the source voltage. So, unless you specify differently, I'd assume the plug would be for normal 120 volts and plug directly into your house outlets.

Art

This post was edited by art33 on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 20:00

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 7:51PM
stevemac00

You can get a cheap ballast for $85 on Amazon. It's even dimmable.
http://amzn.com/B0052ACH0E

I use the Hydrofarm Phantom

I bought the 600w version and use it mostly at 400watts but I wanted the possibility of more light if I needed it.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 11:25AM
Soulfire

Thanks Art!

stevemac00- Do you use a 400W bulb in it? I know the site says that you can't but I'm a bit skeptical.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 5:29PM
stevemac00

I'm not sure of the rationale except the bulb might be cheaper but wouldn't that savings would be gained in longevity in the higher rated bulb?

My ballast can't do that anyway as the ballast needs to bring the light up at full strength to heat the gases then it backs down to less power. This seems smart to me but I have no scientific basis for that opinion.

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 11:50AM
More Discussions
High Output CFL - worth using?
Hi all. Assume I won a tiny lottery <g>. My current...
andyinnyc
Need help with my Petunia and Coleus Seedlings
I am trying to grow as many petunia and coleus seeds...
Cathy Cokley
Which is better; 1300 lumen LED or 1300 lumen CFL?
I was wondering if there is a difference between LED...
dxniel
LED Grow Light for Peppers and Tomatoes
New to the forum here and not sure where to post this,...
jyi1234
Timers that reduce and increase lighting to simulate seasons
I was talking to MesaGardens today and he mentioned...
Bama_Joe
Sponsored Products
Kathy Ireland Amor Collection 29" High Accent Table Lamp
$79.99 | Lamps Plus
LightLove | Ball Filisky Pendant Light
$642.40 | YLighting
Binic Table Lamp by Foscarini
$289.00 | Lumens
2 Lights Upward Tiffany Wall Sconces Lamps for Hallway
ParrotUncle
Crossing Diamond Rug 5'6" x 8'6" - IVORY
$529.00 | Horchow
AICO Furniture - Tuscano Home Office Credenza Base in Biscotti -...
Great Furniture Deal
Urban Mix Bell Pendant
$52.99 | Dot & Bo
Avanti Outdoor Refrigerator with Glass Door
$999.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™