Cypella sp. I think

bluebonsai101(6a PA)November 23, 2008

I'm not really much of an Iris grower and got this labeled as "pretty yellow flower from Brazil" 3 years ago. Well, it just bloomed today and it is a pretty little thing. It looks like a Cypella based on a little searching. I've grown it as an evergreen based on no other knowledge of the plant and it seems perfectly happy that way.....under a 400W MH bulb for the winter in my basement. Hope you all like it :o) Dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Very nice! I've only seen the dk lavender one here. I'm thinking of getting a piece of it. Nice foliage statement for the garden.

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 3:15AM
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

It would be nice to be able to put these in the ground, but not in my climate I am afraid!!

It's always nice to see something bloom for the first time when you have no idea what it is you are growing :o) Dan

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 7:27AM
eroctuse2(z5 SE Michigan)

Beautiful photos Dan. Thank-you for sharing them. Cypellas are new to me and I had to look them up. For anyone else that's new to them, I found quite a few species I would love to grow on this page http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Cypella .

Before today I would have assumed it was a neomarica. Thank-you for adding yet another plant to the equation of an obsession. :)

Brock

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 4:28PM
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

Hi Brock, I did some more looking around and it appears to be a dead ringer for Trimezia martinicensis so maybe a different genus, although the PBS indicates these are awfully tough to tell apart so who knows!! It is the only plant like this I own and was sent to me as a gift a few years back so I am just guessing.....let me know what you think :o) Dan

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 5:03PM
More Discussions
Need help with wire worms in my new iris beds
I have hundreds of new tall bearded irises that I planted...
kathemm
Coral Point - 2nd iris open
Our record breaking heat 4 days ago must have pushed...
irisgal_z9
Too many roots!
I had a spot in the yard and grass would not grow....
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
how to PM someone??
On this new site I don't see any way to PM anyone....
pembroke
Help identifying two irises.
I took these photos in Siena, Italy and I would like...
bill_ri_z6b
Sponsored Products
Franklin Leather Chair - Brighton Volcano Brown
Joybird Furniture
Apollo Satin Platinum Fifteen-Light Chandelier
$473.95 | Bellacor
Midtown Polished Nickel Circular 11" Wide Foyer Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Bramble - English Bookcase 2 Column in Multi Color - 23571
Great Furniture Deal
Finishing Touch Minishade 3 in. x 6 in. x 5 in. Black Parchment with Gold Foil I
$7.99 | Home Depot
66" Treated Pine Economy Picnic Table
Fifthroom.com
Plantation Chair
Grandin Road
'La Jolla' Throw Pillow
$29.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™