Green Beans Not Producing

missemerald(7 (Virginia))July 20, 2013

I hope I'm posting this in the right place... we have two bean towers in the garden right now, and they are absolutely covered with big, healthy green bean plants. The towers are 6 feet tall and the beans reach the top easily. I believe they are Kentucky Wonder (pole). However, although the plants are healthy, the flowers are few and we haven't picked a lot to date (handful or two only). I admit to being a little disappointed. We had a problem with amorous Japanese Beetles on the plants earlier but that has been dealt with. Also, we're in zone 7 which has been having a truly nasty heatwave (although we've been watering, early morning or late night only). Any ideas how to encourage bean production? Just planted another set for the fall (gets cold and frost here late) and I'd hate to have the same issues with those plants. Am I just being seriously impatient here?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanzone5(z5NY)

Beans like it cooler for production. Also, are you seeing any green(bean) color stink bugs? They eat the tiny baby beans just as the flower is finished. Last year I didn't see a bean till September when the bugs were gone and then I had more beans than I could handle!

What do you mean when you say the Japanese beetles were "handled?" Did you spray? Maybe that had an effect.

Water from the bottom only, not the leaves.

Seems like I responded to this post on another forum. ?

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Brown bunch beans---info....please.
My 3 rows of KY Wonder bush bean played their best...
utdeedee
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™