Companion plants

daydreamernh(NH 5)July 10, 2007

I have an empty bed that gets full sun all day. My daughter bought me some lilies and two sedum plants I plan on putting in the ground tomorrow. Any other suggestions. The bed is about 8 foot long by maybe 3 feet wide. I was thinking of some taller lilies in the background.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jumbojimmy(Australa)

Do you have a friendly neighborhood? I remember planting some lilies in the front yard, and someone cut it off. Unbelievable.

Mass planting of African daisies (osteospermum) would look nice - they flower throughout winter. Lavenders would match the color of the fence too.

Bookmark   July 19, 2007 at 9:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fayeraven

Can't believe that you don't have100 posts! What a perfect spot. I assume that this is on a corner, so I would be careful about road salt, but I would plant a mass of lilies/tulips etc. Start by mapping out the various lily heights and bloom time (lots of info on sight about bloom time!) I wouldn't do osteospermum as it doesn't bloom in mid summer, only spring and fall and th rest of the time is a mass of green. Sun or shade, some hosta in the front would look nice and tall phlox in th back. Being so open at least you don't have to worry about ground hogs or deer.--- Faye in MD

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 7:19AM
More Discussions
Take that voles/mice !
My lilies were looking beautiful & increasing for...
pandora
Is this weed some sort of lily?
No idea what this is, except that it is a weed, and...
jacqueline9CA
I'm sensitive to lily smell- has anyone heard of this before?
I don't mean to judge or critisize anyone for their...
hjihji
What the heck happened to my hybrid lilies
I brought this pot of lilies at home depot and it was...
tlbean2004
Need help with Lilies of the Valley
Hello, I purchased a package of lilies of the valley...
Deb Capecci
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™