How do YOU support your bean plants?

iamzvonko(5)July 29, 2014

Hello,

I'm still fairly new to gardening. This is my 4th growing year. Each year I've grown beans but all my attempts at supports for them have not gone real well.

So I'm curious how others are doing it. What works best for you for pole beans and for bush beans?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yolos - z 7b/8a Ga.

Rattlesnake pole beans - EMT trellis supports with nylon trellis netting.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 12:44AM
macmex

I use home grown bamboo poles, placed in a tripod, for my seed production and 16' cattle panels, held up by three T posts for main production. The cattle panels are very easy to set up and take down, and, they last for years.

George

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 12:25PM
alisande(Zone 4b)

That's impressive, Yolos!

George mentioned cattle panels, and here's another way to use one: bent in half to make an 8-ft. arch. The 5-ft. edges on the ground provide 20 feet of row for seed planting.

I found the idea here on GardenWeb. Here's a pic of my first one, taken 5 years ago. I now have two of them, and the first one is in perfect condition. Beans are Kentucky Wonders.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 6:45PM
kioni(3)

I don't grow pole because of high wind issues in my location, but do grow the bush (Blue Lake Bush I think).

Over the years I've picked up those metal fencing pieces that can be poked into the ground and moved around, I must have about 40 pieces (about 1 foot high and 14-18 inches in length). Dollar store and garage sales have the best prices for me.

I place them a distance of 6-8 inches from the young bean plants, and they are there just to give a bit of support from the wind. Both sides of the rows, with a few perpendicular within the row, Helps to keep the plants in check.

Before I did this the wind would come ripping through (usually just as the beans were nearing harvest time!) and whip the plants around, snapping off good branches with developing baby beans, and twisting the plants so terribly that production dropped afterwards (when the weather would turn lovely again).

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 1:17PM
jimster(z7a MA)

Good topic. Interesting posts.

See also the link below.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Show Me Your Trellis

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
Shelly Beans
I was just discussing an heirloom bean, "Ma Williams",...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
Jeminez
I just received some Jeminez seeds from Sand Hill....
shuffles_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™