build an LED Grow light? really

calimurray(zone 5)November 16, 2008

I am currently using an old 2x4 fixture for suspended ceiling I drilled 100 holes in the back side and put 2 -50 ft strands of LED C Christmas lights in there 50 red and 50 blue. They use a total of 7 watts.

I am growing morning glory's, enchantment, radishes, carrots, tomato's ,peas, cucumbers, and herbs they all were planted one week ago and I have sprouts everywhere.

I was amazed the Christmas lights actually work I ordered 100 10 mm superbrite blue prewired LED's from Best hong kong

Hopefully I'll get those soon to create another more powerful light.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedbegone
    Bookmark   November 26, 2008 at 3:43PM
derek-grow

i see more and more about l.e.d. lights. the only ones i've really seen that seem to be doing good cost way over the price of H.I.D. lights. i have 4 panels of l.e.d.'s and can say they are useless beyond anything i have tried. mine are the glow panels and use 45 watts of power each. i have 4 of them. i like the h.i.d. lights much more for what they do. yes they cost more, but they do much better than the l.e.d.'s i have seen in the same price range. i have seen l.e.d.'s that produce like the h.i.d.'s but they cost well over a $1000 each!!! really what is the deal here?

Bookmark   December 2, 2008 at 6:27PM
balian

Derek, sorry to hear about poor results.
I am curious tho, so I don't look into the same products, you mentioned 45w glowpanels, are they the $140.00 sunshine glowpanels?

Bookmark   December 4, 2008 at 6:49PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

I like to see my plants in good light so I can tell if they have any deficiencies. It's also easier to see bugs and fungus problems in more natural light. If LEDs were my last choice, I'd choose a sun room and going by some of your prices it would probably be cheaper.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 11:39PM
More Discussions
Seed Starting Lights at night?
In my area (Nova Scotia) I have time of day metering...
youngdb
Cost-Efficient Lighting
Does anyone know what the most cost-efficient lighting...
Tigger033
New to Forum - some questions, comments about heating mats
I have been starting flower seeds indoors for years...
snapdrag
Please help. Plant hanging after transplant
Hi. I need urgent help. My small chili mini container...
gustaph
Question about MH lights?
I have access to a lot of 400 watt metal halide lights,...
wertach zone 7-B SC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™