Lily beetle

magpie57July 6, 2008

I was out watering this evening and to my horror, I found what I've discovered is lily beetles. I haven't actually seen the beetles but the dirty little larvae are all over my half eaten plant!

Does anyone know how to get rid of them in a ecological way. I already know about NEEM type spray and I hand picked them this evening...but it was disgusting work. I was hoping to find about a home-made type remedy like ammonia or something.

Anybody?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
opheliathornvt zone 5

I diligently hand-pick every one I see, and that helps, but miss one batch of the larvae and you start all over again. I too hate them and would like to know if there are any home remedies to use when you see the larvae. I don't mind picking the adults, but the globs of excrement are too gross. Fortunately, I'm out in the garden 3 or 4 times a day hand-picking japanese beetles, so adding the lily beetles, slugs, etc., isn't too hard.

Bookmark   July 11, 2008 at 10:21AM
magpie57

Yeah, that's what I'm doing... but as you say, it's pretty gross. I hope someone out there has a way that works to stop them. I can't bear to see my lilies ruined!

Bookmark   July 11, 2008 at 10:40PM
jaceysgranny(7aAR)

What I've read is that you take a container of soapy water and knock them into the water as you find them. The article I read also said that they don't stay long which is a good thing but they sure do a lot of damage while they're there. You also have to dig up the grubs, probably when you dig the plants for the winter or if bad enough you can probably do it now but be sure to replant the rhizomes and keep them watered well. Turn the grubs upside down on the ground and birds will eat them or you can kill them yourself. Good luck, it seems that my adults have mostly left for now.

Nancy

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 11:03PM
More Discussions
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
Moving uprising Asiatic lilies
My lillies are in a pot and I want to move them under...
Cathy Cokley
Where to plant six foot lilies?
I didn't realize they would get this tall. Now, I...
sibur50
Please identity my Lily
I have attached a picture of a Lily type plant that...
Terrispirit
"boarder lillies"
I am looking for some interesting perennial choices...
posierosie_zone7a__
Sponsored Products
Dragonfly, Snail & Beetle Framed Shadow Box
$27.99 | zulily
Frog Garden Bird Feeder - Copper Verde
Signature Hardware
Serena & Lily Gobi Embroidered Sheet Set
Serena & Lily
Cassini Collection Clear Glass Flushmount Ceiling Fixture
Euro Style Lighting
Gigatent Baxter Beetle Play Tent - CT 014
$34.53 | Hayneedle