rabbit proof plants, bulbs anyone...?

vieja_gw(z7NM)November 9, 2013

My niece lives in the high desert country (6300 ft. elevation) where water is at a premium but would like plants she could have that the rabbits would leave alone (rarely has a deer come into the yard). Are there lists I could go to to find these rabbit resistant outdoor plants to have? She has to cover the tomato plant in a barrel with chicken wire & still the rabbits try & knock the wire cage off & eat the tomatoes, plant & all! I'd like to give her some of my spring bulbs (tulips, iris, daffodils) to try but not sure if they are rabbit/pocket gopher proof or not?!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bear_with_me(8 Pacific NW)

We have both rabbits and deer. Sometimes it's hard to say who ate what. Currently they are surprising me by eating the tops from winter onions. They are not supposed to do that but each animal can have individual tastes. Or it could be the voles.

I have to cage most of my vegetables and many of my fruits. They especially love eating plum trees and apple trees. That's the deer. Rabbits eat the stems from my young fig trees.

In my yard, they don't touch bearded irises, daffodils, anemones, helleborus, or hyancinthoides - bluebell bulbs. I think the rabbits are what ate the grape hyacinths. They eat tulips down to the ground. They usually leave alliums alone but something ate some buds from a few alliums last year. Those were the gigantic type alliums. They left the smaller ornamental alliums alone.

Chives and garlic chives have very nice flowers and I plant those too. Along the edges of some raised beds, I have a row of garlic chives and anemones to deter rabbits. I don't know if they help or just make me feel better.

Hope that helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: rabbit resistant plants

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 11:46AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vieja_gw(z7NM)

Thanks!! I will send her this list of plants that those pesky rabbits WILL eat so she can avoid them! They also have field mice that like to chew/eat the insulation off the vehicle wiring underneath... some makes of vehicles more than others ... depends on what the insulation is made of I guess?!

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 5:21PM
More Discussions
Help identifying two irises.
I took these photos in Siena, Italy and I would like...
bill_ri_z6b
Seedling
Here is photo of an SDB I have been looking at out...
criris_z8
Looking for iris Frost and Flame
Hi, I m looking for the iris Frost and Flame by the...
gibsongirl74_gw
help with my bearded irises
About 2 years ago I moved. Not wanting to leave my...
badjar
Consequences of transplanting in winter/early spring, zone 5
Hello, I have a question about transplanting irises....
kmburton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™