Heirloom pea identification

oldpea(8)July 25, 2007

After being told by several seed stores that they no longer carried Whippoorwill pea seed and could not get any, I became extremely interested in seed saving.

My first attempt was with a few unusual-looking peas in a bag of mixed peas given to me for consumption.

After much heavy rain, and seeds sprouting in the pods, I now have a variety of very pretty seeds.

Maybe someone can tell me what they are.

There is a strong possibility that I was given peas that were grown, and seed saved, back in the 70's.

1. One matches a desciption of Blue Goose. 2.One is black with red swirles. 3.There's one black with very small white random spots and blotches. 4. A red one with black mottling.

5.A pearly grey with a large, dark black eye. 6. A small tan with brown speckles. A small dark grey with speckles.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldpea(8)

O.K.. So I left the "r" out of the word description and left out the number 7.
Another question, please.
I remember whippoorwill peas being small, tan and speckled, and they really tasted good.
Does anyone know what a REAL whippoorwill pea looks like?
I really enjoy reading the postings in this forum and the pictures are just great.

Bookmark   July 26, 2007 at 5:41PM
cowabunga1(Zone 6)

I don't know much about Identifying your peas but the whipoorwill pea sounds very interesting. You can find a picture of it here. Too bad they are sold out.

Bookmark   July 27, 2007 at 12:41AM
farmerdilla

Southern peas cross pollinate readily, unlike regular (P. vulgaris) beans. So unless you are growing them in isolation, you have mixed peas.

Bookmark   July 27, 2007 at 8:24AM
jwm1960

Sand Hill Preservation has Whippoorwill Cowpeas listed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sand Hill Preservation's Cowpeas

Bookmark   July 27, 2007 at 3:18PM
jwm1960

By the way, the Whippoorwill peas I grew up with were tan with speckles too.

Bookmark   July 27, 2007 at 4:37PM
oldpea(8)

After reading my post the next day, I saw that what I was saying wouldn't make a lick of sense to someone else.
Thanks for responding. I do have a Blue Goose and the Whippoorwill pea pictured on the Victory Seed site. Many thanks, cowabungal. I ordered the "whips' from Sandhill, separated the colors, and, planted one color. Waiting to see what happens. Thanks, jwm1960. As for the peas crossing, what I picked looks like some of the very old seed that we have been trying to germinate. No success on the deliberate and much success on the accidental planting of this seed by a young boy. Will try to learn how to post pictures. Thanks, farmadilla, you could be right.

Bookmark   July 27, 2007 at 8:18PM
More Discussions
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™