Will cow peas bloom a second time?

jcgator21(6; Southern IL)July 1, 2010

Hello,

I have a 12'x12' raised bed in the back yard, and I managed to squeeze 2 rows of cow peas in this year. I have one 12' row of purple hulls and one 12' row of brown crowders (Texas Cream 40). The purple hulls have pretty much all been pick now, and I am working on the crowders. My question is: will the peas bloom again now that I have picked them, or should I just pull them out and put something else in my limited garden space instead of wasting time waiting for more peas which won't come? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fusion_power

Cowpeas bloom continuously for about 3 months but with a caveat that some varieties tend to produce one or two huge flushes of blooms and then either die back or else are so decrepit they do not produce significant new beans. Your varieties will re-bloom.

DarJones

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 12:14AM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

I would only add that care should be taken when harvesting. Some new buds will develop from the fragile tips of the flower stalks, so try not to break them off.

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 1:50AM
jcgator21(6; Southern IL)

Thank you DarJones and Zeedman. I do see some blooms but it's not as many as when they first came up, it seems. Should I add more Nitrogen or anything to encourage them to flower more heavily?

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 8:16AM
More Discussions
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Insuk's Wang Kong (red scarlet runners) part 2
I am the one that wrote the last post, so I am starting...
cabrita
Brown bunch beans---info....please.
My 3 rows of KY Wonder bush bean played their best...
utdeedee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™