lilies in yakima/selah, wa???

djonesc(zone 5/99022 - spokane area)August 21, 2009

i hope this is ok; i crossposted this in the regular garden section b/fore i knew there was a lily forum ... forgive my oversight:

i'm new to this part of gardenweb ... usually hanging out in the veggie section, however, i would like to ask some questions about lilies: i just got home from the minneapolis area (another grandbaby) and when i was there i saw TONS AND TONS of lilies; it seems like every home has a patch or section or area of lilies, even surrounding the mailboxes -- my daughter didn't know what kind they are (they are new there, also) but the lilies are tall with orange/yellow flowers and the leaves look like they *fall over* out of the top of the plant, surrounding the long flower stem ... daughter said she thought they were the kind that walmart sells in pots ...

can someone tell me if they grow in the yakima/selah area ... is it too hot here (it was 111 today where we live out of town) ... i have not seen them, but have not *looked for* them before ... will they grow and thrive in yakima/selah?

any help appreciated ... darlene

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

There should not be any orange or yellow true lilies blooming right now, they usually bloom in June. Their foliage is short and grassy but goes all the way from the ground to the flowers on straight stems.

You must be thinking of daylilies, their foliage looks like a grassy clump and the flowers stick up tall on long bare stems?

yes, they'll grow in Yakima.

Are these what you mean?

Here is a link that might be useful: ditch lilies

Bookmark   August 23, 2009 at 3:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

This thread shows the difference between true lilies and daylilies nicely

Here is a link that might be useful: another thread in this forum

Bookmark   August 23, 2009 at 3:13PM
More Discussions
I'm sensitive to lily smell- has anyone heard of this before?
I don't mean to judge or critisize anyone for their...
hjihji
Did I kill my lily bulbs?
This fall my husband had to dig up our lily bulbs to...
grandma_gardener_02
Three Oriental Lilies Topped
These were my only three Oriental lilies, planted years...
eibren
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
What the heck happened to my hybrid lilies
I brought this pot of lilies at home depot and it was...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™