What kind of lilies do I have??

binkalette(Minnesota)August 6, 2009

Hello! My husband and I just bought a new house this year, and this spring some lilies popped up out front! I'm not sure what kind they are.. Can anyone tell me? Here are some pictures:

Also, if I take some of the seeds that have been falling off of the stems and toss them into the tall grass behind our house, do you think there is a chance they will grow? I also took two seeds and planted them in some dirt to see if I get any to grow in there :-P

Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

Lilium Tigrinum (Tiger lily). Yes, if you take the little bulbils and plant them, you will get new lilies. The success rate with this lily is very high. It will, however, take at least three growing seasons to reach blooming size.

The first year, the sprouts will look like a shiny lanceolate blade of grass - good idea to plant them somewhere where you can identify them easily and not accidentally dig them up or plant over them. The second year they will look like a spindly lily stalk.

I have many stands of them scattered around my gardens - I think they're delightful; one of the few true lilies that is completely no care.

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
Take that voles/mice !
My lilies were looking beautiful & increasing for...
pandora
Toad Lily
In five years, this is the first flower my toad lily...
TNY78
Foxtail lily; companions?
Hello! I want to plant foxtail lilies. I know they...
mushibu10
got my first peace lilly...
On the sale rack at a big box store. Ive looked around...
jameya
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™