"Premium hosta varieties"

jan_on zone 5bJune 12, 2014

The following is from a hosta description in the Walters catalogue. Is anyone familiar with this designation? Is there an actual list?

This premium hosta variety is part of a group of the finest hostas available today. Members of this collection were evaluated and selected by a group of specialty hosta growers in zones 4-7, who together have a combined total of over 150 years of hosta growing experience. To be considered a premium hosta, plants must perform superbly in all four zones (4-7). They must also exhibit exemplary garden presence and performance, have a long season of appeal in the landscape, have leaves of good substance, and demonstrate a greater resistance to common garden pests.

Just wondering.
Jan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

Well there is the Benedict Medal Winners, Awards of Merit and Honorable Mention lists on the AHS website. That's probably the closest thing to that description.

Steve

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 9:14PM
paul_in_mn(4b)

Sounds like a marketing thing. Put the word collection, premium, winners, etc on a hosta and elevate it in peoples minds. It may be a very nice group.....seems to me it was brought up last year.....might find in a search.

Paul

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 9:24PM
garyz6ohio

Kind of sounds like The Hosta of the Year" designations. What hostas are on the lists?

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 9:45PM
jan_on zone 5b

I googled the term after reading the above description on the Giboshihill web site.......Walters Gardens, probably the source of the hosta being described, uses that designation on Vulcan and Alakazaam that I could find. There doesn't seem to be a list. They aren't hosta of the year. Benedict awards maybe?
Jan

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 4:08PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Just like HOTY, and Proven Winners... it is a marketing tool. Good one. Made me look too.

I would be more interested in the award lists that the AHS puts out...they aren't selling them, so $$ aren't the reason for their ratings.

-Babka

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
Dragon tail HOSTA?....
Now that you've opened this thread you may as well...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
Anyone wanna do Leaf shots? Hosta 'Dream Queen'
Who needs slo-poke 'Thunderbolt'? fwiw, hh
hostahillbilly
info on spam
anyone know where to find the rules for spam are in...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Hosta Fragrants 2014
I am having computer problems today so I am on my laptop....
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Seedling pics?
Decided to grow some seedlings this winter. Have to...
BungalowMonkeys
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™