can anyone tell me what is going on with this lily with no stem

bomar6August 8, 2013

I planted 4 lily bulbs and one has started to grow with only leaves no stem has anyone had this happen or know whats going on? thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

Did one of the bulbs look different from the others? That certainly doesn't look like any lily I'm familiar with.

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 1:06AM
bomar6

all the bulbs looked the same, another forum has suggested it is a agapanthus but i dug into the soil and it is definitely a lily bulb

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 9:09AM
gardengal48

The Amarylliaceae (amaryllis, crinums, naked ladies, rain lilies and several dozen other bulb species) grow in this format - multiple leaves from a single growth point. And they do grow from a bulb. But they are not considered true lilies. (True lilies have bulbs with overlapping scales, other 'lilies' have bulbs like onions, with layers of tissue).

I'd suspect your "lily" is one of these - literally hundreds of different plants have lily in their common name but are not truly lilies at all. Very confusing, I agree :-))

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 5:41PM
bomar6

this bulbs has overlapping scales just like any other lily bulb i have seen I'll post some pics later today

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 6:48AM
kayman

These are the basal leaves that any lily bulb not big enough to produce a stem grows. Their shape & size varies with the type of lily and size of the bulb producing them.

It may be that the original shoot was damaged, since these look younger than the stems to either side.

I'd suggest potting these all up into a bigger pot right away. Lilies like a cool root run and soil which is free-draining without drying right out, and these look a little distressed.

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
Help my Peace Lily? I think it might be dead....
It looks like this. Pretty unpromising. I think I watered...
cactussalad
Wisconsin Illinois Lily Society news
Our winter Lecture Series is beginning this weekend! On...
linnea56
Is there any hope??
I have lilies that grow wild on the side of my house....
Twin Cities Trade
Best/Favorite Co. to get Lily Bulbs?
I would like to add some tall fragrant oriental, chinese...
aunt_lou
Pardalinum...looking for seeds
You didn't leave a way to email you re the martagon...
mxracer264
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™