Fall crop of sugar snap pea's

n0nickrickAugust 12, 2008

Hello again.

I was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to grow and harvest a fall crop of sugar snap or sugar daddy pea's in Ohio in the fall. I know pea's love cooler weather but I've found no data whatsoever on the possability or impossability of a fall crop. Any information or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Rick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

Oh, they'll do fine. But, you need to get them in right away, since it's already halfway through August. This depends a bit on where you are in Ohio, since obviously, far northwest area/Toledo have an earlier frost and freeze than would Cincinnati or far southeast corner of the state.

I'm in the suburbs of Detroit, and planted my fall crop a few weeks ago. They're about four inches tall now, and should have a nice September/early October crop.

Often the fall crop is at least as nice, if not better, than the spring crop, since there isn't too much of a chance of extreme heat in the fall (although, last year, we had a stretch of low to mid 90's the first five days in October, felt like August all over again!).

Bookmark   August 14, 2008 at 6:50AM
More Discussions
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™