Resurrection (Surprise) lily question

lucia59August 20, 2006

My Mom always had Resurrection lilies (also known as Surprise lilies)

anyway...we were redoing one of her beds and dug up at least 4 of those shopping bags full of them, but only a few had bloomed this year.

My question is....does anyone have any idea why all these lilies would not have bloomed? Were they just needing to be divided? The bulbs look great. All of them are firm nice looking bulbs, so they should have bloomed.

any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilium_guy56

You don't say when you planted them. If you dug then this spring and replanted they may not bloom the first year. Even planting then last fall they may need a year to get settled in. I've planted lilies in the fall that I mail ordered or bought at store and had to wait until 2nd spring.

Bookmark   August 20, 2006 at 10:51PM
lucia59

We just dug them all up Saturday. They had been in the ground for as long as I can remember. They are not new bulbs or newly transplanted bulbs.

I think they were just too crowded and maybe planted too deep. I planted some at my house yesterday and made sure not too crowd them or put them in too deep. I will see what happens next year I guess

Thanks for the reply

Bookmark   August 21, 2006 at 10:44AM
diene(Z4ME)

Hello Lucia;
What I know is that when bulbs get crowded, they do not all bloom. I think there are not enough nutrients in the soil to feed all of them. You should do well next year if you split them up, did you also put some fertilizer in when you transplanted? Next year should be a blast. Enjoy. diene

Bookmark   August 22, 2006 at 7:13AM
lucia59

Thanks for the replies.
I think they should do much better now that they are divided. It was amazing how many bulbs were in there. And a lot of them were "double" bulbs that I separated.
I can't wait till next year to see the results.

Bookmark   August 22, 2006 at 2:57PM
ego45(6bCT)

They may or may not bloom for you in 2007.
Lycoris squamigera is not especially fond of being moved, especially after the bloom when they just spent stored energy to blooms and now have to grow new roots.
In any event, don't be discouraged if next August you'll not see as many blooms as you wish to. Bulbs are there, settled, growing and working on a 'surprise' for the next year.

Bookmark   August 22, 2006 at 11:18PM
mamoo_z5(z5IN)

I moved some also that were over crowded this month. I made sure to give them bonemeal to help build up the roots for next year. Maybe you would like to put some bonemeal or bulb food over the area where they are planted & water it in. It sure won't hurt them!

Bookmark   September 13, 2006 at 12:37AM
More Discussions
Pardalinum...looking for seeds
You didn't leave a way to email you re the martagon...
mxracer264
got my first peace lilly...
On the sale rack at a big box store. Ive looked around...
jameya
"boarder lillies"
I am looking for some interesting perennial choices...
posierosie_zone7a__
Wisconsin Illinois Lily Society news
Our winter Lecture Series is beginning this weekend! On...
linnea56
Is there any hope??
I have lilies that grow wild on the side of my house....
Twin Cities Trade
Sponsored Products
Arteriors Home - Paramano Lamp - DK17019-225
Great Furniture Deal
Net Light N-789 Pendant
Lightology
Foscarini | Gregg Media Round Multipoint Pendant
YLighting
Walnut Brown Becket Media Stand
Cost Plus World Market
Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl Display with Ticket and Coin
$300.00 | FRONTGATE