Tenderstar pole beans

CaraRoseAugust 2, 2013

Anyone here grow tenderstar pole beans? So far this season they've grown great, flowered like crazy... and produced all of 2 beans.

Is this typical of this variety? Or am I just a bit unlucky this year?

Blue lake pole beans, on the other hand, have been producing well. Perhaps a bit slow to get started, but starting to come in steadily.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

Tenderstar is a runner bean (Phaseolus coccineus) Pole beans are Phaselous vulgaris. Runner beans like a cool moist climate (like England). As a class they have difficulty setting in warm weather. In my youth Scarlet Runners were grown strickly for the flowers.

Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 3:46PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Thanks Farmerdill for explaining the main difference between RUNNER beans and POLE beana.

I always thought "It is crazy!" they both can climb on a POLE and they both can RUN (if you let them to .lol).

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 9:09PM
drloyd

Often in GW posts Phaselous vulgaris are called "common beans" and they can be bush, bush with short runners, or pole beans. There is also a half runner habit.

Phaseolus coccineus beans are generally called runner beans even if they have bush habit. Runner beans do not like hot weather, they may need bees to pollinate them and they readily cross with each other. Those of us who maintain seed lines often grow only one variety a year.

One obvious difference is when common beans emerge from the ground the seed leaves or cotyledons come out as the first leaves. With runner beans, the cotyledons stay in the ground.

Both kinds are used as snaps, shellies or dry beans. - Dick

Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 12:41PM
CaraRose

They are starting to set now with cooler weather. My blue lake pole beans are on the same trellis though, and are trying to strangle them. Harvested maybe a dozen beans total this year though.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
Brown bunch beans---info....please.
My 3 rows of KY Wonder bush bean played their best...
utdeedee
Germination Test #1 Chinese Long Green long bean
My family has grown this variety of long bean since...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™