too late to plant??

AgAnnie(z4-5 IA)November 17, 2005

I just got my last shipment of bulbs today. I was sent 3 iris rhizomes as a gift - it is too late to plant? It was 3 degrees lastnight. They are forecasting 40's by the weekend. What should I do? Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laurief_gw

Pot them up and keep them in sunny windows in your house for the winter. If you plant them outside now, there's a very strong probability they won't survive till spring.

Laurie

Bookmark   November 17, 2005 at 11:06PM
wmoores(7/8 MS)

Follow Laurie's advice.

Walter Moores

Bookmark   November 18, 2005 at 7:36AM
birdinthepalm

I didn't see a "type' of iris specified, and I'd think some types wouldn't root quicly enough to take much cold , but others are so tough such as the bearded ones they might survive the winter just lying on top of the ground through the winter, though it is recommended that even bearded irises get some winter mulch their first winter after a late summer or fall planting , if you're in a colder zone.
I would think you wouldn't get severe freezes however where you live and most types would survive outdoors, though they'd remain dormant all winter and not form new roots where they're planted til spring arrives.

Bookmark   November 18, 2005 at 5:32PM
suenh(4)

Pot them up and put them in a cool room, sunny window. Water sparingly. I say cool room only because you want them to grow roots but not go too nuts growing. If you don't have a cold room the sun is more important. Just might skip a bloom year until they adjust.
Wouldn't plant outside now and I live in a place with reliable snow cover. Iowa is just as cold but doesn't get that 4 foot blanket to protect from temp swings.

Bookmark   November 21, 2005 at 5:06PM
birdinthepalm

I wish sometimes my eyes were better, and I did make a serious boo-boo on my previous post. I mistook IA for LA and of course it is too late in Iowa to be planting irises of any kind, and it would be better to store them in a cool place til spring.

Bookmark   November 22, 2005 at 12:37PM
AgAnnie(z4-5 IA)

Thanks for all your advice. I potted them up and put them in a window. I am not sure why they sent them this fall and didn't wait until spring, but I love iris, so I'm not going to complain too much.

Bookmark   November 22, 2005 at 9:36PM
More Discussions
potted Iris
I have potted iris and would like advise on how to...
pembroke
1st Dutch iris open (bulb)
I love bearded iris. But I'm also a sucker for bulb...
irisgal_z9
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
what else to plant with irises
I'm in zone 6 and I'm wondering what else to plant...
gibsongirl74_gw
Too many roots!
I had a spot in the yard and grass would not grow....
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™