Bush bean row spacing?

nygardener(z6 New York)August 1, 2011

I've planted several varieties of bush beans at 2-3" spacing a few inches from either side of a 3-foot-wide bed (surrounded by grass paths) in which lettuce has been growing. The bean plants are now about 4" tall, and I've been pulling out the lettuce as it bolts.

Now that the lettuce has finished, I was planning to sow another row of beans down the middle, so that I'd have three rows about 15" apart. Or I could just leave the middle empty, leaving two rows about 30" apart, with fertile soil between. Which do you suggest -- should I plant the middle row, or leave it out?

Also, should I thin the existing rows to 4-5", or leave them at 2-3" between plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tedposey

In a bed where you pull the weeds and grass they probably will do well with a row in the middle. I plant everthing in my garden 30 in wide so I can run the tiller down the middle till the plants get really big.
I thnk 2-3inches is too close. I drop bean seed about 3-4 in spacing and if all germinate, thin to 6-8 in.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 6:09PM
Caffie7(6b)

In my bush bean patch, I noticed I have a few really heavy producers, and they are the ones growing next to a "bare spot" where I had to pull a diseased seedling, or at the end of the row. It makes me think I should give them all more space next time. Exposure to sunlight from top to bottom may be the key, I don't know. Mine were planted about 5 inches apart.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 11:15AM
nygardener(z6 New York)

Thanks! The lettuces haven't all given up yet, so I think I'll stick with the 30 inch spacing for this year. Most things do well with a little extra room anyway, and this way I can reach in to pick from either side without crowding.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
2015 Growing season
I've just been going through my stash making a list...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™