grow light

busbossNovember 8, 2012

i have a 4ft. tomato in my bsmt. i purchased a different grow light a philip plant light agro-lite br40 120w flood light design puts off a lot of heat unlike florescent tube how close can this bulb be placed to plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
overdrive

unfortunately your lamp is not very good for growing tomatoes - especially a 4 footer - save money and get a proper hps hid lamp such as gavita or reflectorized 400w hps - you'll be able to grow 4 tomatoes with such a light, at 4 feet. your given light is kind of useless, unfortunately.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 6:56PM
bigchief31

I have a 65watt cfl and pushes 3900 lumens and also. A 23 watt cfl..is this enough lumes..plant looks great...just eant to be sure...let me no...if its ok

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 1:11AM
overdrive

depends on the type of tomato - if it is for the tomato that you can smoke, i would use 2 or 3 of the 65 watt and a few 23 watts pointed at the sides. if it is the eating kind of tomato then probably you are ok.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 5:55PM
eircsmith

You can get the grow light as close as can but not till plant gets burn. You can use good indoor thermometer and monitor the temperature at the top of shade. Then you can guess how close to get your grow light. If its 1000W grow light than the good height is 16"-18" from the top and normal is more like 18"-24".

Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 4:48AM
dsws

I googled the Phillips agro-lite, out of curiosity. It says 270 lumens for 120 watts, on the listing on Home Depot. Can that possibly be correct? That's like the amount of light per heat you would get from the coils of an electric stove or something.

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 9:14PM
lesliemorris85

If thatâÂÂs correct then youâÂÂd be getting fried tomatoes.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 10:29PM
Seven_Six_Two

They have been shown to produce most of their light in the two frequency bands used by chlorophyll, but they are incandescent, and are much less efficient than a HID light. It's more expensive to buy a HID, but the HID has much higher value.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
More beautiful plumeria blossoms under grow lights
More proof that grow lights work! I planted this plumeria...
arctictropical
T5 vs T8 and equivalent
Obviously T5s are the better choice for indoor growing,...
gardev
Question about MH lights?
I have access to a lot of 400 watt metal halide lights,...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Need help Drip watering Basil inside
So i have a little closet grow room setup with lights,...
Riskebiz
germinating and lighting
I am about to start some hot pepper seeds I ordered...
mikwya
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™