Can I plant Fava Beans in with my late corn?

nanajoloAugust 26, 2009

I'm an inexperienced gardener, learning as I go, reading, researching, and relying on the expertise of others (such as yourselves!).

We are now putting in a variety of fall crops. I've learned that fava beans will overwinter here, and I'm thinking to plant the fava beans (Windsor) with the small block of late corn that is growing now (6'x2' raised bed, deep, healthy soil, condensed planting).

The beans will outlive the corn, but my thinking was that the corn stalks would support the beans throughout the winter until harvest. A modified "Three Sisters" planting, although in fall/winter rather than spring/summer. The dry corn stalks would have to come out after the beans were through.

Is this a good idea or a bad idea? Suggestions would be appreciated. We were given fava beans to eat last spring, and quite enjoyed them, so would like to try growing our own.

Kind regards.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macmex

Hey, I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. Because we live in such different zones I was thinking someone else would better be able to answer your question. Here are my thoughts:

1) The fava beans are likely to get too much shade in with your corn. But then, perhaps your corn is not planted so close together?

2) Fava beans do not climb. They are a free standing plant, not a vine. I have, however, see fava bean plants reach nearly 4' in height.

Having said this, I don't believe that there is any reason not to grow favas in with corn. Just be sure that they favas are not shaded out when they are young.

George
Tahlequah, OK

O

Bookmark   September 2, 2009 at 9:34AM
nanajolo

Thanks, macmex. The corn is planted densely in a square foot garden bed, so would be shading the favas. Guess I'll find another place to put them. I appreciate your input!

Bookmark   September 2, 2009 at 4:48PM
soonergrandmom

macmex - Do you grow Fava beans? If so, when do you plant them? Carol

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 10:19PM
jillzee

Hi soonergrandmom,

I usually plant my favas in late March. I start getting a decent harvest by mid June here in western NY.

Hope that helps!
Jill

Bookmark   September 12, 2009 at 6:55PM
More Discussions
Perplexed by these peas!
Please help me save these peas! I was gifted germinating...
winorchids
Show Me Your Trellis
This bean trellis was anchored by three foot long steel...
jimster
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™