Dry Beans Shriveling/Withering up on Plant?

hettar7August 6, 2007

This is my first year growing any type of bean. I planted 4 rows of dry bush beans. Jacob's Cattle, Calypso, Adzuki, and a Black Bean. I'm letting all of them dry on the vine before picking them to shell out and finnish drying inside. Jacob's Cattle did great. I'm freezing them now before I store them. I've picked some of the black beans and adzuki and they seem fine too. the problem is the Calypso beans. They're a black and white bean and all the pods i've picked off the vine are shriveled up and the beans inside seem flat. Did I leave them on the vine too long? Is that possible to do? Why would they all be shriveled up? Should I pick them when the pods are still green and full and let them dry inside. I thought you were supposed to let them get brown and hard and dry on the vine, but these are brown and leathery and just plain withered up. Anyone know what I did or didn't do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

It is not likely that you left them on the vine too long. More likely is that the vine died before finishing the beans. That could be from insect damage, disease, heat or a Pandoras box of other causes.

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™