Help me plant these Asiatic lilies

stir_fryiAugust 26, 2013

I bought three of these on clearance. I'd like to fill in some of the space between the daylillies and the knockout roses (about 3 feet).

These are Tiny Hope Asiatic Lily.

Tag says to plant 6-8" apart. In this picture, they are more like 12" apart. Will they fill in? Should I clump them together instead?

Also, I am confused about blooming. Online it says they only bloom once in the spring. Well it is August in Michigan and they are blooming in these little pots!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

Whatever the grower/supplier's conditions were, these lilies set their buds and bloomed when they were ready to bloom. And they'll bloom only once. Planted in the ground, next season they'll flower at whatever the normal time is for Michigan.

Since each of yours has two stalks, there might well be two bulbs - a main one and a pretty good sized offset. If you like the separate look and want to plant your three pots 12" or more apart, do so - over the years they will each grow into a clump on their own. They're easy to separate once a clump has gotten too big.

At this stage, planting them 6" apart will create the look of an already formed clump. But once the flowers are finished, the stems will start to yellow, then turn brown and woody so you'll be cutting them down anyway.

Go for the look that appeals to you most now.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 6:43PM
More Discussions
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
I'm sensitive to lily smell- has anyone heard of this before?
I don't mean to judge or critisize anyone for their...
hjihji
Best/Favorite Co. to get Lily Bulbs?
I would like to add some tall fragrant oriental, chinese...
aunt_lou
Storing my newly purchased lily bulbs
I just purchased many lily bulbs, mostly oriental....
grammabarb
Is there any hope??
I have lilies that grow wild on the side of my house....
Twin Cities Trade
Sponsored Products
Madison Avenue Double Floor Cabinet - 7060
$98.59 | Hayneedle
Aged Metal Small Hanging Basket
$16.99 | zulily
Orange Marvel Pot
$8.99 | zulily
Jaipur Rugs Barcelona Indoor-Outdoor BA10 Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug - Beige
$66.00 | Hayneedle
Jaipur Fables Whimsical Transitional Abstract Pattern Viscose/Chenille Rug - RRC
$43.00 | Hayneedle
Jaipur Baroque Bernini Transitional Abstract Pattern Wool/Silk Tufted Rug Multic
$99.00 | Hayneedle
Echeveria Art Print
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
Live Fragrant Lilac Primrose - Set of Two
$14.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™