What can I expect?

pameliap(Z8 Florence, SC)August 10, 2007

Out of curiosity, just to see if I could since I've never tried anything like this, I cross-pollenated two of my lilies. I used the pollen from Centerfold to pollenate Narbonne. I have three nice fat seed pods developing on the Narbonne. What now? How long should I leave the pods on the plant? Should I dry the seeds before planting, or plant fresh? How long before I can expect germination? As I said, this is my first time trying this, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilium_guy56

What you can expect is nothing. Sorry to shatter your dream. The Lilies you crossed are HYBRIDS. All hybrid plants are infertile. Therefore the result will be seeds that will not grow.

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 8:34AM
pameliap(Z8 Florence, SC)

LOL Not a dream...just curiosity. It took all of 30 seconds to pollenate them and no effort to watch them grow, so nothing lost.

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 9:23AM
fayeraven

Nice to laugh while we're learning. I would have had the same question...saved alot of anticipation liliumguy56!

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 5:24PM
Mainiac(5b Maine)

Lilies may be hybrids, but that doesn't make them infertile. They just won't bloom true to the parent. Most daylilies are hybrid also but there are about 60,000 varieties as a result of hybridization.

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 6:49PM
pameliap(Z8 Florence, SC)

It won't cost me anything to let the pods mature and see what comes out. I've done some more searching and found folks who are crossing hybrid with hybrid and getting results. I'm not expecting prize winning lilies, just a little experimentation to make gardening even more fun.

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 10:10PM
philomena(z 5A NY)

You never can tell - I have 3 daylily sprouts that came up from seeds I collected end of last year - have no idea in the world what they will look like when they eventually flower, but it sure has me curious !

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 10:31PM
More Discussions
id for pink crinum
I am looking for the botanical name for the pink crinum...
linda_leaf z10fla
Is this weed some sort of lily?
No idea what this is, except that it is a weed, and...
jacqueline9CA
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
Is this a Lily, or what is it?
I planted this as a bulb over 5 years ago, basically...
jacqueline9CA
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™