Madonna Lilies?

remontant(z6B TN)August 4, 2008

I'd like to plant some madonna lilies, but I understand it's hard to find unvirused bulbs. Do you have any favorite sources you'd recommend?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hld6(z7 MD)

Lilium Candidum is easily grown from seed and matures to flowering size relatively soon (by the next year or two). Growing from seed does not propagate virus.

The seed is immediate epigeal so it doesn't need a cold period to germinate.

-Helen

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 11:46PM
remontant(z6B TN)

Helen, do you have a favorite source for the seed? :-)

--Reilly

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 7:54AM
hld6(z7 MD)

Hi Reilly,

You can buy it from The Lily Garden now. They also have other immediate epigeal seed for sale (Lankongense, Pumilum, and Regale and possible others). Also the North American Lily Society (NALS) has their seed sale in the spring - and toward the end of the sale makes seed available to non-members. My L. Candidum were grown from NALS seed which had "Cascade" strain available that year.

My lilies have some ripening seed pods now. Botrytis got many of them. Unfortunately Candidum, while virus resistant (hence it may be a virus carrier) is fungus susceptible and I didn't get to them fast enough with my antifungal spray. But each pod produces a lot of seed so while I will donate most of them to the NALS sale I'm sure I can spare some in a month or so when they are done ripening.

There is no reason you can't start them now in pots and bring them inside during the winter so they can get a super long first season. I accidentally did that last September when seed pods I brought inside after a rain got warm for too long and germinated. I potted them up and waited to put them outside until the following spring and they are still on my porch going strong.

My e-mail link on "My Page" is active so feel free to contact me.

-Helen

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 12:56PM
remontant(z6B TN)

Helen, that would be wonderful! Can I send you some seeds in exchange? Single hollyhocks, shasta daisies, or Tennessee echinacea? :-)

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 9:13AM
hld6(z7 MD)

Hi Reilly,

Tennessee Coneflower seed would be nice. I got your e-mail and I just replied to it.

-Helen

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 12:51PM
natflo(7)

Helen do you have any Madonna lilly seeds left?? I have white orchid lilly seeds I can swap with you.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 2:50PM
More Discussions
Wisconsin Illinois Lily Society news
Our winter Lecture Series is beginning this weekend! On...
linnea56
got my first peace lilly...
On the sale rack at a big box store. Ive looked around...
jameya
Please help me grow this Lily plant?
I have had this Lily for a long while. Very rarely...
Fathim_Zazu
Red Lily Leaf Beetle Sited
11:15 am in Malden, Ma ( just outside Boston) Came...
MichaelB_MAz6
Best/Favorite Co. to get Lily Bulbs?
I would like to add some tall fragrant oriental, chinese...
aunt_lou
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™