Blue Lake runners blooming again?

wertach zone 7-B SCAugust 3, 2012

I grew Blue Lake pole beans for the first time this year. I have enough canned to last me so I let them go to seed for planting next year.

I haven't been paying much attention to them since I'm letting them go to seed. They are full of dry pods that I have been waiting to pick.

They have started blooming again. I didn't think that ever happened. Blue Lake bush certainly doesn't!

I'm really liking these runners!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

I think there is a valid analogy to be made between beans and tomatoes. Bush type beans are analogous to determinate tomatoes, which basically die after setting a crop no matter what you do to them. The pole beans are like the indeterminate tomatoes, they can keep going a long time if cultural conditions allow.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 12:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wertach zone 7-B SC

An update, I'm picking a grocery bag full every day since about the 18th. I'm eating some and they are just as good as they were with the first crop.

I've been giving them to the food bank and they are very glad to get them. They haven't been getting any since mid July.I drop them off every day on my way home from work.

They have gotten to know my truck and when I'll be arriving, so I'm getting curb service now! LOL

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 1:19PM
More Discussions
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
What does "as soon as soil can be worked" really mean?
I know it might be a dumb question to ask because the...
beesneeds
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
RuthieG__TX
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™