Plague of grasshoppers

booberry85(5)August 24, 2006

I'm growing pole beans for the first time this year. I'm growing Kentucky Wonders and Asparagus yardlongs beans. The Kentucky Wonders did quite well but were attacked viciously by Japanese beetles. They now are under attack by grasshoppers. The Japanese beetles and grasshoppers only seem to be majorly going after the Kentucky Wonders (I'm also growing three different kinds of bushbeans). Any reasons why? What do I do about grasshoppers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macmex

Booberry,

I can easily understand them leaving the yard longs alone, in favor of the normal/regular pole beans. Yard longs are technically cowpeas and are very different. I assume they don't taste as good to them. But why these pests single out your Kentucky Wonders over the bush beans (all the same species), I'm not sure. I have one lone pole of climbing beans standing out in one area of my largest garden, and it has been defoliated by grasshoppers. But two other poles, of another variety, but same species, in another part of the garden, and growing in the corn, have been untouched. It's strange! One other idea: I suspect that once a plant is really strongly attacked it may send out some odor (like a distress signal), which actually attracts the pests.

Let me know what you learn about dealing with grasshoppers. I tried a powder (organically derived) but it didn't help at all. Next year I'm planning on housing a half dozen Indian Runner Ducks, a small fast breed, in the garden, with their own pen. That way I can keep them closed in when there are small and fragile things starting. But when the grasshopper plagues begin I can let'em out. Ducks LOVE to eat grasshoppers!

George
Tahlequah, OK

Bookmark   August 31, 2006 at 12:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
booberry85(5)

Wonder what the DH would say to some ducks?! The Kentucky Wonders still produced well despite the attacks. My garden is fenced in. It's the only part of our yard that is fenced in. I like to take my two little dogs with me and let them loose in the garden. They like the freedom. Because of this I only sprayed the beans (bush and pole) once with a soap shield and once again with Pyola (chrysathemum based pesticide). I did buy Sevin dust but didn't use it, because I didn't want the dogs being exposed to it.

This is the first year I've seen this many grasshoppers & Japanese beetles in the garden.

Bookmark   September 4, 2006 at 4:35PM
More Discussions
My first full beans
I will be harvesting full beans for the first time...
shuffles_gw
True Heirloom Romano Pole Beans
I've been ordering Romano pole beans for the past few...
fignut
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
Storage System for Bean Collection
Hello, London Seedy Saturday was yesterday and besides...
LoboGothic
where to find Hilda/Helda romano pole beans?
Two yeas ago health problems interfered with getting...
matthias_lang
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™