Are Romano pole beans very slow bloomers?

catherinet(5 IN)August 4, 2012

I haven't been able to log on to Gardenweb for months! We've tried everything to no avail........but today its working! Yay!

I'm in an extreme drought in this area with temps in the 90's and sometimes over 100. I've watered the garden every other day and am getting good cucumber and tomato growth/production. But my Blue Lake, and especially the Romano poles are not making blossoms yet....and its early August.

Is this a function of the heat, or are they mostly late bloomers?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

I'd say it's the heat, things should improve when it cools down. Some of my later planted pole beans aren't producing flowers right now, we're going through a hot (for us) spell, approaching the 90's, we don't as a rule have many days like this. My Blue Greasy Grits have topped their teepee but aren't flowering, neither are my Barksdale but there's still plenty of time at least for me.

Annette

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 4:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catherinet(5 IN)

Thanks Annette,
My plants are getting old...........otherwise, I'd think that the cooler weather in Fall might be good for them.
The drought we're having is supposed to unfortunately last into Fall. My garden sure prefers rain water to ground water......but at least the groundwater is keeping them alive.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 7:29PM
More Discussions
Strange Pea problem - predator or what?
Hi. Last year, for the first time, my healthy green...
blueskink
Insuk's Wang Kong (red scarlet runners) part 2
I am the one that wrote the last post, so I am starting...
cabrita
Brown bunch beans---info....please.
My 3 rows of KY Wonder bush bean played their best...
utdeedee
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™