Romeo for the Holidays

eukofiosDecember 2, 2012

Here is Romeo, produced by Millet et Fils in 1912. I bought it mail order this summer. Having run out of room, I planted it in a container. A few weeks ago the raised bed was ready to plant, but this one had a flower shoot. So I placed it in a cool room, sunny window. Here it is today.

It doesn't look a lot like photos of Romeo. Maybe it's the odd timing, or the odd situation, or the growth medium. It's in a used potting soil. Maybe it's mislabeled. I like it better than than the linked site. The colors have a sepia tone, like an old Kodachrome photo.

I don't know if winter blooming can be done intentionally. This was unplanned.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Hmmm, that doesn't look at all like Romeo- I'll bet it's a reblooming tall bearded iris that was mislabeled. I bought some this year that have already bloomed too- Desert Legacy by Margie Valenzuela, but it is listed as a reblooming iris. I don't think it's possible to get an iris without the gene for fall bloom to bloom in fall.
Renee

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 11:05PM
eukofios

It probably won't bloom next Spring, having used the one mother rhizome for bloom now. The new growths are tiny. So I guess it will be 2014 before I see what it looks like in the garden under proper conditions! Long way away! Meanwhile I'm happy to have a unique holiday flower for the table!

Here is a link that might be useful: American Iris Society: Romeo

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 12:06PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

It looks like 'Romero' at this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://growinggreener.blogspot.com/2012/08/some-more-new-iris-varieties.html

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 5:14PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Should mention C and T Iris Patch in 2008 had more mis-identified pictures of iris than any other seller online.

Don't know if they've corrected the mistaken names/pictures. Heads up.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 5:24PM
eukofios

Thanks, that sheds some light on the matter. C&T does list that one as Romeo even though their pic is labeled Romero. I googled on Iris Romero and could not come up with any irises but there was an interesting mug shot of someone by that name.

I actually like it better than the photos of Romeo. I guess I should call it "Uncertain ID"

Here is a link that might be useful: C & T Iris: Romeo

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 8:54PM
More Discussions
Dried out Rhizomes - Iris
I have a few Iris that are dried out from storing them...
pinkkpearls
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
Dutch Iris
Can Dutch Iris be planted in the Spring ? or are they...
maximus2015
Iris bloomed Oct. - Nov. in Missouri Question about Pods
I have had a area of Irises in my backyard for years......
lydia1959
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™