Bearded Irises now Lower in Ground

ejr2005(Eastern MA)December 9, 2012

I'm pretty new to bearded irises and bulbs in general. Last year I planted several bearded irises and took care to keep the bulb mostly above ground. A couple of them never bloomed but they appear to be alive - maybe next year.

I recently looked at them and realized that the bulbs are now mostly or all underground. Its late in the year here in MA and the ground will probably soon be freezing, though right now it's in the 40's and 50's.

Should I do anything now?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
onederw

Because it's so late in the year, I'm thinking you'd best wait. (Patience can be a gardener's best asset, and it's always in short supply.) If you lift the rhizomes now, there's not going to be enough time for them to develop a root structure before winter sets in in earnest. That said, if you lift them when they break dormancy, you risk losing the next bloom cycle. Perhaps the best alternative is to wait until they have bloomed in the spring, then raise them onto a new mound.

Kay

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 9:16AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Don't worry about them. A number of growers now plant their rhizomes with a bit of soil over the top.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 8:32PM
ejr2005(Eastern MA)

Thanks for the info. The other day I looked closer at them. It looked like their rhizomes (now I know the proper word) were all about 1/2" to 1" under soil. In the spring they were all above ground.

I didn't lift them but I did take some of the soil off the rhizomes. Hopefully that will make them happier this winter. I was surprised at how much lower in the ground they all were.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 10:00PM
mccommas(z5CT)

Its perfectly fine to have a thin layer of dirt over the rhizomes but if in doubt take a hose and spray the dirt around the rhizomes away.

That way you don't disturb the roots. When planting a new plant I don't worry about it if they are a bit under the dirt because the roots will gradually push the rhizomes up.

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 7:06PM
More Discussions
potted Iris
I have potted iris and would like advise on how to...
pembroke
Need help with wire worms in my new iris beds
I have hundreds of new tall bearded irises that I planted...
kathemm
what else to plant with irises
I'm in zone 6 and I'm wondering what else to plant...
gibsongirl74_gw
Dividing irises
How often are irises supposed to be divided? I moved...
Carla1
1st Dutch iris open (bulb)
I love bearded iris. But I'm also a sucker for bulb...
irisgal_z9
Sponsored Products
6' Red Cedar American Classic Garden Bench
Fifthroom.com
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Custom Length High Power LED Flexible Light Strip
Super Bright LEDs
Radiax 2700K 35-Degree 13-Watt LED White Flood Light
Lamps Plus
Harbor Beach Outdoor Rug
$89.00 | FRONTGATE