*sigh* silly mistake - can I remedy?

gardensprite(7)August 16, 2008

I have my first food garden this year, and I planted a few different variaties of beans - cowpeas, limas, maybe black beans, and regular green beans - *I think*, lol.

See, I labelled them, but the sharpie I used seems to have etched off of the plastic knives I used. Lesson Learned.

I also threw away the seed packets. 'Nother lesson learned.

My question - My kids love boiled green beans, and just came in and presented me with handfuls of the things, and I can't for the life of me tell which is which.

I seem to remember reading that all beans will be edible in the "snap bean" stage - is this true? Like I said - I *think* I have the varieties right, and I would love to use them.

Also - operating under the assumption that I may have forgotten something that I planted - is there any bean that would *hurt* us in the snap bean stage?

Yep - you can laugh at me, it's funny. I just hate to waste food if I can aviod it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

None of them will kill you. Limas have tough woody hulls and I doubt that you would eat them. Cowpeas, limas, and common beans are quite different in appearance so you should have no problem telling them apart. Lima. all will have this shape pods, they just vary in size and color.

Cowpea, this is a purple hull but all have long skinny pods with many peas per pod.

Common bean (P. vulgaris) unlike the others vines tend to be fuzzy and stick to hands and clothes. Others have slick vines. All can be used as snap beans, the ones developed for shell beans just get fibrous very quickly.

Bookmark   August 16, 2008 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Brown bunch beans---info....please.
My 3 rows of KY Wonder bush bean played their best...
utdeedee
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
seed germinate
Got some blackened pea seed in the bulk section a the...
dons916
Sponsored Products
Del Monte Foods - Pet Food 5.5 oz. Super Supper 9Lives Canned Cat Food - 24 Pack
$33.99 | Hayneedle
simplehuman Rectangular Step Brushed Stainless Steel Trash Can (8 Gallon)
Overstock.com
Silver Lamp: 30.5 in. Silver Simple Elegance Table Lamp OK-9142T
$88.20 | Home Depot
Ball Inspired Chair
IFN Modern
Serena 5 3/4" Wide Chrome and Glass Pendant Light
Euro Style Lighting
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Macy
$49.00 | Home Depot
MaxLite ELLF135UM50 MaxLite StaxMAX LED Flood Lights
EnvironmentalLights.com
Mint Green 'Live the Life' Wall Sign