Fava time, and the winner is ... Express, Statissa, or Negreta?

guavalaneAugust 5, 2010

So many good things are said about Fava that I'm going to give it a try this fall/winter. But, what variety should I start? Our winter is mild with the low around 20F - 30F. At my small urban garden, space is always a premium. Also precious is direct sunlight because of fence, trees, etc. It has to be fairly early so I could have the space available by April 1. Given all the limitations, I'm lost between Express, Statissa, or Negereta. Your suggestion is most welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pippimac(New Zealand)

Over here, Coles Early Dwarf is popular: doesn't get too gigantic. No matter what the packet says, they'll need support. Old pantyhose are excellent, their width and flexibility prevent the soft stems getting damaged.

Bookmark   August 20, 2010 at 9:44PM
cabrita(9b SoCal)

Supersimonia (from growitalian) and a Spanish one I picked up in Catalonia are my new ones. Broad Windsor is the only one I have grown two years in a row (also near Los Angeles). This coming September, I am planting all 3 varieties. I have been loving favas and I am trying to adjust the optimal planting time. I should be harvesting them by april, or green stink bugs get them. I planted in October last year, so I plan to sow a little earlier. I am also hoping that the Italian and Spanish favas have a shorter DTM and are better adapted to our Mediterranean climate.

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 1:54PM
guavalane

Pippimac and Cabrita,
Thank you for your information. I think I'll try Statissa because it's easier to find. I think I'll sneak them under my now very tall tomato plants in early September. My thought is that the tomato foliage may provide some shade when it's still hot.

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 3:15AM
More Discussions
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
Jeminez
I just received some Jeminez seeds from Sand Hill....
shuffles_gw
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
Germination Test #1 Chinese Long Green long bean
My family has grown this variety of long bean since...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™