Propagation - a different way.

obscure_blurJanuary 20, 2007

I bought 2 Lucky Bamboo about a month ago. I know due to the cutting the plant will not grow anymore and doesn't seem to grow the seeding part. I kept the two LB in a waterfall I made out of various things and noticed a baby LB growing. I really had no idea how it grew since I've read the pains of propigation for this plant.

Upon close investigation it grew from a small root that broke off. I had them straight up with rocks but, they kept falling and roots occasionaly would brake off. This thing grew 4 inchs in 3 or 4 days. It stays very straight up too and has 2 little leaves. It has one yellow root like the LB.

I'm not sure if I heard of the root method before. I'm sure choping all the roots off can't be good unless your regulating growth on a bonsai or something.

Here is the image tell me if what you think? It's the one in the back.

Here's a close up.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I don't believe that this little baby is a lucky bamboo (Dracaena sanderiana), sorry. A seed from an unknown source dropped into the container and has happily germinated.

Bookmark   January 21, 2007 at 9:01AM
obscure_blur

LOL That is possible. My bird does like to throw his seeds around but, I guess in time I'll find out what it is?

Could someone leave a link to some pics of LB in the early stages of development?

Bookmark   January 21, 2007 at 3:35PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I don't know about any images, but I can guess that the seedlings would look like little blades of grass, as do other members of the Dracaenaceae family.

Bookmark   January 22, 2007 at 11:40AM
More Discussions
My bamboo has been frozen, eaten, and propagated...
I received two lucky bamboo as a gift from a wedding....
Jetson324
7 Ft Lucky Bamboo/ Dracaena starting to turn Yellow- Help!
I have a 7 ft tall lucky bamboo aka Dracaena sanderiana...
cruzinpattis
What water to use on lucky bamboo
I bought lucky bamboo today. And I have spent all night...
JackJoe1
trying to bring this fourm back
Im trying to continually check this fourm for questions...
michael1846
!!!Stem Turning Yellow (Including Leaves)!!!
I had my Bamboo Plant for about two years now. I came...
NateDog1996
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™