CRI vs. Color temp.

e-w-031December 14, 2013

I'm trying to decide between a couple of CFL bulbs for supplemental lighting. One option is 5600k and 91 CRI, the other is 6500k and 80 CRI.

Am I right in guessing that the color temp matters more to plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

CRI and Color temp are basically the same thing. They are both measures in how we "see" an illuminated object. How that affects plants is subject to debate.

Latest research has shown that PAR (photosynthetically available radiation) is more important since lux, lumens, CRI and color temp are how our eyes 'see' things.

It is well worth doing some research on.

Have a great day,

SCG

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 3:03PM
e-w-031

Thanks SCG. I was just reading on a thread here long ago that CRI doesn't matter to plants. I beleive I know what you are saying, but one problem is that sometimes it's hard to even get basic data about a bulb from online listings. PAR for example, I've not seen this listed for any CFL I've looked at. This means I'm just sort of winging it I guess. But at least now I'm not going to agonize over color temp.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 3:14PM
o2tiller(N/A)

In my opinion (reiterate "my" ~ and nothing more than an opinion), I think you would be fine using either one of the bulbs you mentioned above, and with a higher CRI (80-100) light source 'things' can look better.

Included a link worthy of review:
http://lowel.com/edu/color_temperature_and_rendering_
demystified.html

Although the above link is geared more at giving an overview of acceptable color rendering index for professional imaging, it has usable information that can be applied to growing under lights.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
Dwarf Papaya growing and blooming under grow lights
Here are a couple pics of dwarf papaya plants that...
arctictropical
Lots of seeds - Please help me get started (Zone 6A)
I went a little overboard with a couple of seed orders...
oldbat2be
WHERE is your light set up?
I was wondering where you all have your light set up?...
SunshineZone7
bulb question
I put a 75 W Philips Bulb - 120 volt- (Agro-Lite BR30)...
ellenr22
Pepper Leaf Problem
I am new to the forum, but have a question about a...
kswart19
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™