How to move surprise lillys

noplantwiz(NC)August 17, 2011

My Mother has some surprise lillys in her yard. I live in NC and was wondering if they could be dug up and then just mailed to me from OK. Would they surrive in the mail for 3 or 4 days? Should the green part be cut back, and the dirt taken off the bulb or what. Then should I replant them right away or wait til it gets cooler and what would I do with them til then? How deep do they need to be planted? Thanks for any info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilaschnauzies(Z5 Eastern Nebraska)

I am not a lily expert, BUT I have traded plants extensively and have moved surprise lilies... so here's my best advice:) I dug up the clump of lilies to be moved, planted it at the same depth and filled in soil, watered - and they did great.

To mail them - I would cut the green part down to 3-4 inches. Then remove as much dirt from the clump as I could to save postage $ without tearing apart the clump. Keep them in a cool shady place while you're working on them. I would put the clump left dry inside a PAPER bag to contain any dirt mess to put in the postal box. Plastic can kill them in the mail. Be sure and mark the box "live plants." Watch your mailbox carefully so they don't sit out and bake in the hot sun all day.

When they arrive, put in a cool shady place, water, and you can either plant immediately or let them rest and adjust with the roots soaking in water overnight (which is my preference).

Good luck to you!

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 8:31AM
sheilaschnauzies(Z5 Eastern Nebraska)

One more thing - be sure to mark the location of the new plant! You don't want to accidentally dig into it next spring before its foliage pops up!

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 8:33AM
leftwood(z4a MN)

If they are surprise lilies (Lycoris squamigera), than they should be dormant bulbs now, or blooming. There shouldn't be any leaves. Personally, I prefer to move them when the bulbs are dormant, either in summer after leaves die back but before flowers bloom, or after flowers bloom.

Rick

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
Wisconsin Illinois Lily Society news
Our winter Lecture Series is beginning this weekend! On...
linnea56
Oriental Lilies in Pots...Where to Overwinter in zone 4?
Hi all, I don't have room to plant lilies in my garden...
haydenrose
lily virus
Hello all - Here is a picture taken this summer of...
jebfarm
Is this weed some sort of lily?
No idea what this is, except that it is a weed, and...
jacqueline9CA
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™