Newbie: Tips for first time Casablanca bulb planting?

sirionAugust 3, 2006

I want to plant some Casablanca lily bulbs, so that I may cut them at various times and give them to the SO. I live in Los Angeles, and have sandy soil around my property at different degrees of sunniness and facing different cardinal directions, mostly directly against one wall or another. What should I know?

(Looks like I'm going to order them from Scheepers, though I don't know when I should place the order)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fivemeows(5)

If your going to be cutting them. usually they won't rebloom the next year.

Bookmark   August 4, 2006 at 6:09PM
lilium_guy56

I think fivemeows is somewhat in error. I am in upper NY zone 4a so you have to treat Lilies differently than I do. First of all Lilies are quite strong plants. BUT they can not take being totally water logged for a long period of time. Planting them next to a wall MAY keep them water logged from your roof run-off if it rains a lot. And you get rain. I'd plant them somewhere besides right next to the wall.
Second, Lilies being like Tulips and DAFFodils NEED to be frozen for a wintering period to regrow each year. You will need to dig them up after the foliage turns brown and place in a non-growing substance like sawdust then put them in the freezer for 6-8 weeks. 12 weeks if you like. Then you can replant them outside they will regrow. being in the snow country I don't have to dig mine up. But you can leave DAHLIAS outside all year where I can not.

Bookmark   August 11, 2006 at 1:49AM
mac_girl_81(10 - ENCINO, CA)

Question: where should i freeze it? in a regular freezer (the one that we make ice) or regular refrigerator?

Bookmark   August 14, 2006 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
lily virus
Hello all - Here is a picture taken this summer of...
jebfarm
Where to plant six foot lilies?
I didn't realize they would get this tall. Now, I...
sibur50
Is this a Lily, or what is it?
I planted this as a bulb over 5 years ago, basically...
jacqueline9CA
Pardalinum...looking for seeds
You didn't leave a way to email you re the martagon...
mxracer264
Is there any hope??
I have lilies that grow wild on the side of my house....
Twin Cities Trade
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™