Fortex Beans.....curled?

naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan(5B SW Michigan)August 6, 2011

I'm growing Fortex beans on an 8 foot trellis. They are doing great and began producing great tasting beans very quickly. Thanks to all here who suggested and raved about them. Most every pod is curled or twisted a bit. The ones left to grow longer are still very tasty and tender, have well filled pods, but twist back and forth. No way to pick alot of these and hold them in a bundle in my hand with all the bends in them. Pictures I've Googled mostly show typical straight beans labeled Fortex, but a few show a tendency to bend like mine. I wonder if some photos from seed vendors may be showing a stock photo of "green beans" and not actual Fortex pods.

What pod shape do you see in your Fortex beans? Any ideas why mine take on the interesting shapes. Seed was purchased from Sandhill Preservation in 2010.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Some twisting is normal; the pods are seldom completely straight. Mine usually look like this:

Fortex

"Fortex" has many strong points, but one of the weaknesses I've observed is a susceptibility to wind bruising. The pods would have brown or darker green spots, sometimes with slight cracking, on the inside edges of the curls. There is a little of this visible on the smallest pod in the photo. If you have such spots, and if the beans were grown in an area exposed to the wind, then that would be my best guess. Water stress seems to increase this sensitivity.

I always grow them behind other tall crops now, and have few problems. A heavy layer of mulch reduces water stress.

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 8:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan(5B SW Michigan)

Thanks for the photo and ideas. My beans look similar to yours with some of them twisting or curling more than yours. They are in an unprotected area and I know the trellis has a fair amount of flex to it. We'll continue to enjoy eating the beans and take out an extra large basket when we pick so they will all fit.

The trellis also has Scarlet Runner Beans and some variety of Yard Long Beans nearby which make the twists in the Fortex beans even more obvious. It's my first try with the yardlongs.....very interesting plant with conversation-starting pods.

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
Beans and leafrollers
Several years ago I was growing Rattlesnake pole beans...
madabouteu
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
2015 Growing season
I've just been going through my stash making a list...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™