Leaves turning yellow, problem with soil??

randers3March 4, 2008

I have a lucky bamboo plants that I've had for 4+ years, it is now about 2 1/2-3 feet tall, that I now keep in soil. Lately I have noticed that it's leaves are turning yellow and there is a white substance on top of the soil. Is this stuff mold? Should I change out the soil? It is in a container that is pretty big, but it doesn't have any means of drainage on the bottom. Should I also change containers? I have also heard that some people mix sand in with the soil... should I try this too? I appreciate any help... although I've had the plant for years I haven't done much research on it.

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Most containerized plants do much better in a smaller sized pot, and drainage holes are a must. There is no way to properly water your plant without the holes. This means that there will be a build up of fertilizer salts (which is the probable cause for the white stuff), and a severe lack of oxygen in the soil system. Oxygen is essential for the continued development of roots.

Sand is really not a good amendment for your potting soil. It tends to pack into the pore spaces, which is the exact opposite of what your plants need. A good potting medium should be extremely porous and coarse textured.

Bookmark   March 4, 2008 at 3:31PM
randers3

Thanks for your help. So regular potting soil is fine?

Bookmark   March 4, 2008 at 3:52PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Make sure that the potting medium is coarse textured. Adding some bark soil conditioner would be a plus. I'd suggest perlite, but Dracaena sanderiana is among those plants that are sensitive to the fluoride that perlite contains in appreciable quantities.

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 11:22AM
randers3

I've just done some research on hydroculture systems. Do you think this would work well for this plant?

http://www.purlec.ca/howitworks/index.html

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Dracaena Help!!
I have a Dracaena (not sure what species) that has...
starrchelly
Is my lucky bamboo dying?
Hello I'm Kori, About 6 months ago my sister bought...
Karamelkiss10
yellowing leaves, identify the problem/solution?
I have a lucky bamboo that is growing with another...
Puchinita5
Lucky bamboo - Black spots and yellowing leaves
Hi everyone, This is my first post in this forum. This...
itsfighter
trying to bring this fourm back
Im trying to continually check this fourm for questions...
michael1846
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™