T12 Wavelengths / Lumens

cmpman1974(Zone 6 MI)December 29, 2010

I do not have T8 fixtures so let's forget that issue right now. I have grown lots of seedlings under fluorescents for years now.

What I'm curious about is whether one believes a Sylvania Cool White Plus bulb (4100k rated at 3,000 lumens) is better or worse than a Sylvania Sunlight bulb (5000k at 2,250 lumens). I put 4 bulbs over each shelf. Are the extra 3,000 lumens more crucial than the wavelength difference?

The difference in cost is $25 for a box of 10 5000k bulbs vs. $13 for a box of 10 4100k cool white plus bulbs.

I don't grow trying to get fruit indoors. I'm big into peppers, tomatoes and tons of other veggies.

I'm just wondering which would produce nicer seedlings if used. I look forward to replies/thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wordwiz

Without a doubt, the 5000K bulbs. My favs are Daylight, which are in the 6,000-5,500K range. They produce much more blue spectrum.

Another "trick" is to keeps the temps as cool as you can, within reason of course. 55-60 degrees will produce short, stocky plants, provided you don't water with high N ferts. Tomato-tone is ideal for root growth and a $6 bag will last for hundreds of seedlings.

Mike

Bookmark   December 29, 2010 at 7:30PM
cmpman1974(Zone 6 MI)

Thanks Mike. I didn't know if lumens outweighed spectrum. it sounds like it does not. I have used 6,500k daylight bulbs w/success in the past that put out 2,160 lumens (T12s). Short, stocky is what I go for. I don't need tall plants. Space is important to me. :)

Chris

Bookmark   December 29, 2010 at 10:37PM
yucatan

Chris,

If you're only rearing seedlings and moving them outdoors after they reach a few inches, you should be fine with either bulb. If you were however growing them under lights to maturity, then the proper spectrum would be more important. You can always mix them as well... or shop at another store.

Rob

Bookmark   December 30, 2010 at 9:36AM
More Discussions
Seed Starting Lights at night?
In my area (Nova Scotia) I have time of day metering...
youngdb
Yellow petunias
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong with my petunia...
birkjar
Browning and drying avocado leaves
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
More beautiful plumeria blossoms under grow lights
More proof that grow lights work! I planted this plumeria...
arctictropical
My indoor garden setup - any improvements?
This is my proposed setup for my indoor garden. I'm...
gardev
Sponsored Products
Bella Gigi Sofa - LIGHT GREY
$6,729.00 | Horchow
Cut a Rug in Taupe
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Bahama Weave Drk Mahogany Thin Weave 34
Home Depot
Starburst E20112 Multi-Light Pendant by ET2 Lighting
$1,600.00 | Lumens
Anderson Chair - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture