Top of stalks dried out - cut off or leave it be?

Joseph1987July 30, 2013

Hi everyone!

So I have 3 lucky bamboo plants in a glass container with some rocks and water, and they've been doing great for about 4 years now. Recently, I went on vacation for 2 months and asked a friend to water the bamboo for me. Unfortunately, he forgot to do it for about a month in a row, and many leaves turned yellow and others are very pale yellow/green.

I removed the dead leaves and replaced the water, but now I'm not sure what to do about one more thing: the tops of the stalks (where they are sealed of with wax) dried out. They are brown/woody in color and shrunk inwards. They're like that about 1.5 inches from the waxed part down. The shoots come off the stalks about 2 inches below the wax part, so the yellow/dry stalk didn't propagate low enough to reach them. The question I have is, do I cut off the yellow top parts with a sharp knife (and maybe re-seal with wax?) or do I just leave it be? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christine1950

Maybe you can propagate some of whats still alive, read over this and see if you cant find a answer
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/luckybamboo/msg0810013422037.html

Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
Smelly roots?
when i change the watter today i can smell something...
jtizzle10
Help with my lucky bamboo plant
Does anyone know how to fix this lucky bamboo plant?...
ZukeyWolfy
Help! Stem turning yellow
These have been doing great for a long time. Now the...
weetoots
Is my lucky bamboo dying?
Hello I'm Kori, About 6 months ago my sister bought...
Karamelkiss10
Dracaena Help!!
I have a Dracaena (not sure what species) that has...
starrchelly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™