Gray lines on green beans

julieanoggAugust 13, 2013

I recently started noticing gray lines on my green beans. I've looked everywhere on the web but I can't find anything. Anyone know what it might be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zortwoman

I have grey lines too, and don't know what they're from! I can't tell from your pic if they are the same as mine or not. My pic is from a bean that is covered in them, but I also have many beans with just a few of the lines. They do not wash off. They are only skin deep (when I cut into the beans, you can't see anything wrong on the inside). Does anyone know what these are?

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 12:18AM
hementia8(8 MS)

What varieties are they
There are a few varieties such as rattlesnake and cascade giant that have grayiish streaks that eventialy turn purple
Charlie

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 4:22PM
spacetogrow(4 MN)

I get occasional lines on my snaps that look somewhat like faint scars. I don't know for sure but I have speculated that they actually are scars. If the wind is strong, the occasional pod will get knocked against something that causes a little damage, but because snaps grow so fast, the damage will keep happening to a slightly different spot almost minute by minute, so you end up with a line of lightly damaged tissue.

That's my guess. They don't grow so fast that I stick around to watch the beans grow LOL.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 10:01PM
More Discussions
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Beans and leafrollers
Several years ago I was growing Rattlesnake pole beans...
madabouteu
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™