Propagating lucky bamboo

arizonarose(arizona)August 5, 2013

I understand I can snip off a leafy shoot and put it in water to propagate. Am I supposed to cut the stalk back after I remove the leafy shoot? Then I put wax on the stalk to seal it..correct? I'm just wondering if I have to cut the stalk back...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BettySue

Yes You would cut the stalk back also, Cut it right between the joints below where the shoot was removed and seal the top with wax (i would recommend scentless). The shoots will root in about 1-2 months. The stalk will generate a new shoot at the joint below the cut, in some cases you may get two shoots that will generate. You can find alot of information from the person named "Lucky Bamboo Expert" on youtube also.

The only thing I havent been able to find anywhere, is how fast will the bamboo shoot grow? My shoots got very large before I propagated them. They were already at least a foot tall plus from cut to leaves. I assume once it gets bigger then I would need to cut it and seal it to make it generate new stalks? I have successfully gotten all three of my stalks to root, now how long and what do I do to continue the process?

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 9:49PM
More Discussions
Lucky bamboo cuttings
Okay, I got 3 Lucky bamboo cuttings sale from my local...
YouthGarden
trying to bring this fourm back
Im trying to continually check this fourm for questions...
michael1846
7 Ft Lucky Bamboo/ Dracaena starting to turn Yellow- Help!
I have a 7 ft tall lucky bamboo aka Dracaena sanderiana...
cruzinpattis
Lucky bamboo - Black spots and yellowing leaves
Hi everyone, This is my first post in this forum. This...
itsfighter
Water for Lucky bamboo
In the forum, it was mentioned that we need to put...
Purvi1982
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™