Did I re-pot my Lucky Bamboo correctly?

holly12September 21, 2013

sorry, please ignore THIS post! For some reason, my "did I post my bamboo correctly" posted twice.

This post was edited by holly12 on Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 15:52

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Sorry nobody responded in a reasonable amount of time. This forum needs a link to/from the house plant forum. How is your plant doing?

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 2:48PM
holly12

Thanks for asking! :)

So far they seem to be doing fairly well. I ended up having 1 stock turning yellow, so I pulled it, and had a few leaves turn yellow on another, but the rest seem to be doing well. I've planted 2 pots of them. The soil is still fairly damp/wet. I've even got some roots growing out the bottom holes of the inner pot down to the outer pot, where the excess water catches.

When I first got the bamboo, I took cuttings and rooted them in water. They've begun to grow roots and I'm waiting for them to get a bit longer before I pot them too.

So, it's all good at the moment. :) Every few times I water, I use a fertilizer as well. I'm hoping they continue to do well.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 10:35PM

Sounds like fun! Are you using tap water?

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 2:09PM
holly12

Yes but from the bypass so it hasn't gone through the softener and it sits out for a week before I use it.

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 2:05AM

Most municipalities no longer use a volatile (can evaporate) source of chlorinating water. The other common chemicals in tap water like fluoride and lime can't evaporate, but become slightly more concentrated if water sits. Letting it come to room temp is good if one must use tap water but all of the research I've done leads me to conclude that letting it sit longer is pointless regarding the chemicals.

Rain, melted snow, condensate from a dehumidifier or A/C, or distilled are sources of water without anything else in it, even the minerals that all ground water has, exactly what depends on location.

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 10:03AM
More Discussions
Brown spots on lucky bamboo
I've had this lucky bamboo for about a month or two....
catash701
re: black & Jell on the bottom of stocks
My LB was in a plastic pot to see the roots with moss The...
Patricia.420
Are these Bamboo Shoots dead?
At least 4 of them look dead, but I was wondering if...
EtherAlys
Help with my lucky bamboo plant
Does anyone know how to fix this lucky bamboo plant?...
ZukeyWolfy
Lucky Bamboo
Curious i have had a Lucky Bamboo well 2 shaped into...
AnnMarie49
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™