jelly-type of fungus in lucky bamboo pot

clm4700October 13, 2006

I have the lucky bamboo for more than a year. In the past two months, a brownish jelly-type of fungus growing in the LB pot. I cleaned out the "jelly" in the pot once but it returned a week later. 3 stems have got rotten and are dying. What is the problem and what can I do to prevent further deterioration? Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fledglingardening

It sounds to me like you have root/stem rot. I'd guess the jelly is actually rotting plant material. Your best bet to save the plant would be to re-root the stems, check the LB propagation threads for more info. Because you have rot, you'll need to discard the effected parts of the plant. Just make sure that the parts of the plant you try to root are still healthy, not soft or discolored. If you really want to re-use the same container, discard the infected roots/dirt/gravel, clean it out well with soap + water, then disinfect it with diluted bleach. But I'd use another container for the rooting anyhow, as it might be safer.

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 6:50PM
fledglingardening

I think I made a boo-boo...there are 2 threads right now with similar titles with propagate/propagation . I meant to refer you to the 'How to propagate' one.

Bookmark   November 8, 2006 at 6:38PM
mr.green

try using bottled water cause it dosen't have chlorine in it

Bookmark   December 18, 2006 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
Help! Stem turning yellow
These have been doing great for a long time. Now the...
weetoots
7 Ft Lucky Bamboo/ Dracaena starting to turn Yellow- Help!
I have a 7 ft tall lucky bamboo aka Dracaena sanderiana...
cruzinpattis
Groaning circles
I have a lucky bambo but it is one that has not grown...
dhd47
Suffering Lucky Bamboo
Hello! I am hoping someone can give me some advice...
sisle
Lucky Bamboo Help
My lucky bamboo plant is drooping slightly. Does anyone...
ZukeyWolfy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™