Best kitchen window grow lights?

toby2009December 14, 2009

South-facing "box window" approx. 46"L x 18"D x 32"H, (insulated on sides and top). Hoping to install grow lights for vegetables (lettuce etc) and herbs. The window is behind the kitchen sink, granite sill, planning on mirrors on the side walls, and may be able to open up the sides and ceiling to fit a 4' worklight if required (just unfinished sheetrock at present- only just thought of installing a grow light).

From reading this Forum, I assume that a worklight with 65W flourescent bulbs and chains to raise and lower it, or two Flourex floodlights set in the "ceiling" and moveable shelves could work. Suggestions and advice appreciated. This will be part of a special present for my husband who loves to garden. He's facing a major health challenge and could do with a boost as well as some healthy organic veggies. We're both grow light newbies, so the more specific the better.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luv_2_gardn

Hi Toby,

Having a south window is nice and it provides plenty of bright light, so I assume you may need to extend the daylight hours in the winter, and you seem to have that problem solved. Both of your solutions seem to be aesthetically pleasing and provide the additional light your plants will need. Sorry I can't be more specific but you seem to have it all under control :)

Take care,
Luv_2_gardn

Bookmark   January 9, 2010 at 7:58AM
More Discussions
1000 watts surrounded by 320 plants! Shoe organizers are back!
Some of you may remember my shoe organizer grows. Im...
MisterK
My indoor garden setup - any improvements?
This is my proposed setup for my indoor garden. I'm...
gardev
How to translate lux reading from phone app into lumens/ft2
I took a reading from where one of my succulents was...
Bama_Joe
bulb question
I put a 75 W Philips Bulb - 120 volt- (Agro-Lite BR30)...
ellenr22
Need help Drip watering Basil inside
So i have a little closet grow room setup with lights,...
Riskebiz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™