black lily seed

sorie6(6b ok.)September 6, 2013

How do you start these? A friend sent them seeds to me and I don't have a clue what to do with them!!
they are off her plants this year.
Thank you.

This post was edited by sorie6 on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 17:25

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

What exactly do you mean by "black lily"? Do you know the botanical name? Unfortunately, dozens of plants are referred to as "lilies" that are not so 'black lily' is not very meaningful, especially if we are discussing proper propagation. Just for clarification, there are no real "black" lilies, although some have very dark red flowers :-)

If this is a true lily, like an Asiatic or oriental hybrid, they are rather easily grown from seed although this is not considered the fastest way to generate new plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing lilies from seed

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 4:08PM
duluthinbloomz4

I surmised it's the seeds that are black. Are they the bulbils that form between the stem and leaf axils on, say, a true tiger lily (lilium tigrinum lancifolium)? If so, they're falling naturally from the mother plant now so this is the right time to put them lightly under the soil where you want them to sprout.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 12:28AM
sorie6(6b ok.)

I'm sorry I don't know the name it's what DF called them.
Thanks

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 6:52AM
gardengal48

Can you check with them as to the correct botanical name? Different seeds require different methods for germination and unless we can pin it down as to specific kind of lily (true lily versus common name lily), it is all just speculation.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 4:04PM
brett.edholm

I too have seeds from lilies i bought at a nursery. They fell from seed pods after the petals fell off. I'm confused because from what I've read they sound nothing like lily seeds. Anyone know what they are?

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 2:19PM
gardengal48

The attached link illustrates the seed pods and seeds of a true lily. It also explains how to grow them from seed. Anything that looks significantly different from this is probably not a true lily seed.

Bulbils - those little black berry-like nubs that are found on some lilies tucked in at the leaf axils - are not seeds but sort of baby bulbs. You can also plant them like you would plant a row of sweet peas and in a couple of years have full size bulbs. But not all lilies will produce bulbils - tiger lilies and many of the Asiatic hybrids are the most common sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing lilies from seed

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 4:54PM
steilberg(6 lou,KY)

sounds like blackberry iris have they come up yet

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 6:03PM
More Discussions
Take that voles/mice !
My lilies were looking beautiful & increasing for...
pandora
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
Is this weed some sort of lily?
No idea what this is, except that it is a weed, and...
jacqueline9CA
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
Is there any hope??
I have lilies that grow wild on the side of my house....
Twin Cities Trade
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™