Any luck with Madonna Lilies?

magnumv8September 27, 2006

Just got 2 bulbs from Bluestone Perennials. How deep should I plant the bulbs?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hld6(z7 MD)

Unlike other lilies, lilium candidum needs to be planted very shallowly. The top of the bulb should be no more than 1.5" below the soil. Also, different from other lilies, candidum prefers alkaline soil.

In the winter you should see a rosette of leaves appear. In the spring a stalk will emerge (and the rosette of leaves will die off). This was my second season. The first I only got the rosette. The second I got the rosette in the winter and a stalk (without flowering). I'm hoping this coming third season that the bulbs will have gotten large enough to flower.

My understanding is that the bulbs available commercially are a little smaller than blooming size. Candidum is also resistant to virus and hence can act as a carrier.

I'm also growing some candidum from seed that are doing quite well. They have very healthy rosettes now (I planted out tiny bublets last fall). They may even overtake the bulbs I bought. If so, I may ditch my bulbs if they don't perform well this spring.

-Helen

Bookmark   September 28, 2006 at 6:33PM
raydio(7b)

One thing about Lilium candidum is that they need to be kept fairly dry after flowering, that is, when they are dormant. Summer wetness does them harm. They should also have good very drainage to prosper.

Bookmark   September 29, 2006 at 10:45PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

I've had a Madonna lily in one bed for maybe 10 + years, where a tree has overgrown it. It's been very neglected, as this whole shrubby garden corner was neglected. Still it bloomed every year, though leaning out from under the juniper tree. I've decided to move it (that corner is being re-landscaped next spring) but wonder if it should be in a similarly "neglected" spot. My main garden is comparatively moist: I have a part shade garden that is on a slight slope and much drier. Would this be a better spot?

Bookmark   October 1, 2006 at 10:56PM
More Discussions
Red Lily Leaf Beetle Sited
11:15 am in Malden, Ma ( just outside Boston) Came...
MichaelB_MAz6
Please identity my Lily
I have attached a picture of a Lily type plant that...
Terrispirit
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
Need help with Lilies of the Valley
Hello, I purchased a package of lilies of the valley...
Deb Capecci
What the heck happened to my hybrid lilies
I brought this pot of lilies at home depot and it was...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™